Monday, November 2, 2009

The Journey to Synergy

So it's been crazy lately so I haven't had any time to blog about what's been up. I have recently made a change in my kiting quiver. One day I was attempting to fly my 16m scorpion and it was giving me fits on launching it in the light/gusty Idaho winds. I went home frustrated YET again. I ended up deciding I was going to sell it, I also decided that I wasn't flying my Ace 5m anymore so I was going to sell that. I sold both kites in an attempt at getting the new Peter Lynn Charger. I was hoping to get enough from that and a few other things but just when I was able to have enough they pushed back the release date and raised the prices on me.

I ended up deciding to get the last year's model for cheap. Synergy!! So now I have only one kite a 15m Synergy and Kristi has her 2m Hornet.

Now that there's some background of what's happened with regards to the Kite Quiver.

I've had the kite for about 2 weeks now and I've had one really good kiteboarding session and 3 other times where I just flew it static. The first time I flew it in about 15+mph... i was quite intimidated because of how fast it was in the air. The new bar/lines is AWESOME! I was able to get back and forth down the field with no problems. I came back to where I started every single time. I also was coaxed into attempting my first 360s. After doing some nice 6ft+ jumps with tail grabs etc... I attempted my first 360. MAN it was scary!!! I got waaay up there (or so it felt) and did a nice and slow 360. I ended up on my face all 5 times I tried but by the last try I was SO close but I had to head out. The next few times i've flown were pretty good. I did have one scary session though:

The wind was NUTS it was gusty and nasty. Gusting up towards 30mph with lulls down to almost nothing. I was at Simplot and I had 2 soccer fields to myself. I launched with the help of my lovely wife and soon after I realized somethingw as wrong. The bar was WAY further out than I normally had it. I looked down and realized that my spreader bar was not hooked into my harness correctly! The spreader bar is where the lines attach to my harness so that meant that if i lost the spreader bar... bye bye kite/bar/lines!! I attempted to fix it impromptu by pulling it in towards myself but to no avail. I had the kite fully depowered, and at zenith it lofted me a good 3 feet off the ground, just SITTING there. I ended up pulling the emergency line shortly after that and packed up and went to get pie instead.

Yes, I said... I decided to live another day and go and have pie and coffee with my wife. I think it turned out to be an excellent decision. Gotta love PIE! :P .

Soooooo that's about it. I'm hoping for another good kiteboarding session soon to land those 360s! Oh, I also decided recently than next summer Im' going to hit the water and learn to kitesurf. Ohhhh yeah.

1 comment:

  1. Nice recount!! Your stories are always so exciting ;) Good thing you chose pie & coffee--I don't know who was happier about it--you or your wife!

    ReplyDelete